I don’t know about you, but for me I associate most songs with seasons. Some songs just sound like summer to me and likewise for winter and the other seasons. I was listening to some music on Spotify while I was driving the other day and thought I would put together 5 songs I’m currently listening to (old and new-er) that make me think “winter”.
When I think of winter music the songs are usually ballads or at least not as fast and upbeat. more reflective and I imagine listening while walking through a scene similar to the gif above. A moonlit stroll with falling snow and the fresh, cold air in your lungs.
- The first song I can actually imagine during a late summer night or winter, but since I only recently heard it for the first time I now associate it with winter. “Reflecting Light” by Sam Phillips. It’s a few years old, but I only heard it for the first time when watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life when it played during the last part. Can’t you just imagine twirling around in the snow to this song?
Now that I’ve worn out
I’ve worn out the world
I’m on my knees in fascination
Looking through the night
And the moon’s never seen me before
But I’m reflecting light
2. Next up, an oldie (sorta) but a goodie – Ed Sheeran’s “Lego House”. The music video doesn’t look very wintery but the song just gives me winter feels.
I’m out of touch, I’m out of love
I’ll pick you up when you’re getting down
And out of all these things I’ve done, I think I love you better now
3. The next song, “Love on the Weekend”– is one of John Mayer’s latest songs off his anticipated album. John Mayer is one of my favorite artists. He is an amazing songwriter and is killer on guitar. I’ve been lucky enough to see him twice live and I’d love to see him live again. A lot of John Mayer music is perfect for winter, but like with “Reflecting Light”, I could imagine this on late summer nights too. Maybe I should change this post to late night songs instead of winter.
You be the DJ, I’ll be the driver
You put your feet up in the getaway car
I’m flying fast like a, a wanted man
I want you, baby, like you can’t understand
4. I love OneRepublic’s latest album and their song “Fingertips” is so mellow and hauntingly beautiful that it makes me think of a cold, quiet winter night.
We were running from the waves on the shallows
Trying to keep ourselves alone and out of sight
All right, all right, all right
You were talking about the night when I cashed out
Traded glances as I stole your lovers light
5. The last song I’m listing today is James Bay’s “Let it Go” . So soulful and again, reflective.
Everything that’s broke
Leave it to the breeze
Why don’t you be you
And I’ll be me?
And I’ll be me
Looking back at this list apparently I associate late nights with winter songs. Maybe my next music post will have to be a list of songs I associate with late nights solely.