With it being spooky season I thought I would round up a few suspenseful reads I really enjoyed. Now, I don’t like scary books so none of these are really scary so if you’re looking for that, I’m not your girl. But if you just want something a little suspenseful, more of a thriller than scary, then here are a few to check out!
- Rattlesnake Road by Amanda McKinney – In this romantic thriller, Grey moves to Berry Springs, a small southern town after her divorce. She meets two different men who are very different from each other, but are potential love interests. She also finds disturbing letters hidden inside the walls of her home that someone wrote years ago and could possibly connect to her present.
- Buried Deception by Amanda McKinney – Another romantic thriller by Amanda McKinney! In this book, Dr. Mia Frost and Easton Crew are on the hunt for the Black Cat Stalker – a serial killer who has been killing people on the Black Cat Trail.
- Hawthorn Woods by Patrick Canning – I read this last year and it really kept me guessing the whole time. Francine goes to house sit for her sister while she’s on her honeymoon. She begins to socialize with the neighbors in the tight-knit community, but something doesn’t seem right. Francine begins investigating. I honestly did not see the twist coming!
- An Honest Lie by Tarryn Fisher – Rainy goes on a weekend girls’ trip to Las Vegas when one of the girls disappears and says she’s not going home. It turns out the girl’s decision to not go home connects to Rainy’s past, which she has spent years trying to forget.
- A Shadow of Love by Amy S. Cutler – This isn’t technically suspense, but it is a heavier paranormal romance (not a romcom or lighthearted) so I included it here. After leaving her abusive husband, Annabelle buys an old farmhouse on a big piece of land in New York State. Soon after moving in, she realizes why the house has been vacant for so long. It is haunted by the ghost of a man who committed suicide almost 100 years ago after having his heart broken. The woman who broke his heart, cursed him to be stuck on Earth for 100 years.
- Verity by Colleen Hoover – Most of you have probably heard of Verity. It’s not my favorite Colleen Hoover book, but it’s a good book if you’re looking for suspense and one of those endings where you can debate people about what you think is the truth. In the novel, Lowen is a writer. Verity is a popular writer who had a car accident and is in a comatose state. Verity’s publishers and her husband hire Lowen to finish Verity’s books. Lowen goes to stay at Verity’s house so she can spend time in her office and read through her notes etc. In Verity’s office, Lowen finds a disturbing manuscript by Verity where she writes the truth about her life for the past few years starting with meeting her husband. I’m Team Manuscript all the way!
I hope you’ll check out some of these books! Like I said, I’m not the go-to for thrillers, suspense, or horror, but these are a few suspenseful novels that aren’t scary (at least not to me) that I enjoyed!
*Some of these books were sent to me complimentary, but all opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.*