Earlier this year I wrote a post about movies I loved growing up that were not widely known. For this installment, I decided to round up the first 5 teen movies I could think of that I used to love back when I was a teen. These movies range from when I was in middle school to when I was in high school. I’m sure there are a ton more but these are the first 5 that came to mind.
1. Idle Hands – I used to love this movie because I had a celeb crush on Devon Sawa. This teen movie plays off the saying “Idle hands are the Devil’s playground”. Sawa’s character is a lazy kid who just likes hanging out with his friends getting high. Then his hand becomes possessed and does evil things and he has to try to control it and get rid of the devil or whatever is possessing his hand. Jessica Alba plays the girl he has a crush on in the movie.
2. She’s All That – I still love this movie to this day! Rachel Leigh Cook plays an artsy, quiet high school girl who keeps to herself. Freddie Prinze Jr. plays a popular kid who’s the star of the soccer team and freshly dumped by his girlfriend who has left him for some guy from The Real World who she met on spring break. He takes a bet from his friend (Paul Walker) that he could make Cook’s character “hot” by the time prom comes.
3. A Walk to Remember – This movie was my introduction to Nicholas Sparks. I remember watching it in the movie theater in high school with my girlfriends and of course every girl in there was swooning over Shane West and had Mandy Moore’s “Only Hope” memorized.
4. Never Been Kissed – I’m not the biggest Drew Barrymore fan but I did really enjoy this movie when I was a teenager. I’ve thought Michael Vartan was a cutie since Alias. Jessica Alba is in this one too! She was in a lot more teen movies that I remembered. Drew Barrymore plays a young journalist for a local paper who decides to go undercover as a high school student. She uses this opportunity to redo high school in a way because she was a nerd and often made fun of in high school. The 3 popular girls are named Kirsten, Kristen, and Gibby and there was an ongoing joke in the movie because there was always confusion over Kirsten and Kristen since their names are so close. This reminded me of a conversation I overheard freshman year of high school. I overheard 2 girls in my science class arguing and one girl was upset that her friend didn’t like her other friends and she was like, “You don’t like Stephanie B., C., or D.!” which I thought was hilarious.
5. I Know What You Did Last Summer – This was one of those fun, scary movies to watch when I was a young teen. I liked it because it wasn’t too scary but it kept you wondering who was behind everything and kept you on the edge of your seat at times. Plus it didn’t hurt that the cast was full of fan favorites Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar and teen heartthrobs Ryan Phillippe and Freddie Prinze Jr.
What are some movies you loved as a teenager?