I was thinking recently about movies that I loved when I was younger that you don’t hear much about. Movies popular to me, if you will. Now, since these movies are all from when I was in elementary school and middle school I don’t really know how popular these movies were in the theater. ButI don’t think they were terribly popular or else I think I’d hear more about them today. So over the past few days I jotted down the names as they came to me of movies I loved back in the day and would watch over and over again. Once I got to 5 I was ready to post this!
- Wild America – I used to love this movie! Based on 3 real brothers in the 60s who want to become famous nature documentary filmmakers. They go on a road trip one summer and have an adventure.
So I used to have this movie on VHS therefore I haven’t watched in years. I just looked to see how much a DVD costs on Amazon – if it’s even available on DVD. It is, but it costs over $50!
2. North – This is a movie I watched multiple times when I was little, but I don’t think I really understood it. I mostly watched it for the funny parts. North, played by a young Elijah Wood, wants new parents so he searches the world for the perfect ones. I remember he goes to Texas where everything is extra large and he goes to Alaska and he seems to enjoy that a lot but then he finds out they put their elderly relatives on ice floats to float away. It was entertaining to see him go from place to place. I definitely have to see this movie again as an adult.
3. That Thing You Do – This movie followed a group of young guys in a band in 1960s Pennsylvania who wanted to make it big. Tom Hanks plays their manager and after 1 big hit they make it famous. They become sort of like an American Beatles. The songs were all catchy and there’s a love story mixed in there too. I definitely had the soundtrack to this movie!
4. Center Stage – I’ve mentioned it on here before but I danced all through my school years. Well, until I graduated high school. And I’ve actually signed up for a class this summer because I miss it so much! More on that this summer, but back to the movie. Every dancer I know back in 2000 went to see Center Stage and loved it. It’s such a good movie. Sure, the acting isn’t spectacular, but it’s all about dance!
5. The Pagemaster – I loved this animated movie as a kid but I don’t think it got the attention it deserved! Voiced by Macauley Culkin, a young boy goes to the library and gets sucked into this fantasy world with literary characters – that’s when the movie turns into an animated one. I don’t know how it fared in the box office back in the 90s, but I think if it was a big hit it wouldn’t be virtually forgotten today!
So those are some movies from my childhood and pre-teen years that I used to watch a lot. I really need to see all these movies again. I think Center Stage is the only one I have on DVD, so I’ll have to find some way to watch the others!