I love the grumpy sunshine trope. If you’re unfamiliar with what that is exactly it’s in romance novels when the male main character is grumpy, not the happiest guy and the female main character is happy, more upbeat, etc. There is also a reverse grumpy sunshine trope where it’s the other way around the female the grumpy one and I also love that.
But back to grumpy sunshine – I’ve picked out a few of my favorites that have the trope to share with you!
- The Love Hypothesis – Adam is not known to be very friendly and Olive is well liked.
- It Happened One Summer – Brendan is the quiet, brooding sea captain and Piper is the bubbly, life of the party.
- The Hating Game – Josh is serious and comes off as cold whereas Lucy is friendly and approachable.
- In the Weeds – Beckett isn’t necessarily “grumpy” but he is a bit broody and he’s private and quiet. Evelyn is more outgoing and social.
- Twisted Love – Alex is very mature and moody. Ava is more open and social.
- Kulti – Kulti is quiet and, well, grumpy. It takes him weeks at soccer practice before he speaks to any of the players. Sal is friendly and always wanting to help out her teammates.
- The Wall of Winnipeg & Me – Aiden is quiet, reserved, only focused on his football career. Vanessa tries to stay as friendly and positive as possible with a boss that seems like he could care less about her.
Do you have any grumpy sunshine books you love?
*This post contains affiliate links.*